Sunday, September 14, 2008

Aortic Dissection (A.D.) - More background

I was a Marine for over 18 years. I stayed mentally and physically active and watched what I ate. I studied nutrition and exercise physiology for fun. I was not unaware of my risk factors, one of which was my heredity - my dad was black - that carries a risk penalty that I had no way to calculate. The primary risks included high blood pressure and increased stroke, heart attack and kidney disease risk.

I do have kidney problems, but have been asymptomatic. It took the results of a second day of scans and X-rays to disclose the problem. Apparently, my left kidney had gone polycystic at some time in the past, and now looks rather like a kidney upholstered with grapes...yum. It has virtually killed the kidney. I understand this is somewhat anomalous; it (polycystic kidney disease) classically affects both kidneys at the same time. I'm still on the uptake end of all of that. Once I know more, I will pass that on. Another discussion for another day.

0 Responses: